"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he has been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just like people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, and most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is just like an old time rail journey ... delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."

~ Gordon B. Hinckley

July 12, 2010

2 Years Ago...

TWO YEARS AGO


Patrick and I purchased our first home... a "fixer upper" and everyone thought we were crazy.

AND they were right!

We began "gutting" the house right away and discovered many unforeseen problems (as you would see with any older home). At the time, Patrick was working two jobs and going to RN school full-time. He worked tirelessly on his days off (which were few and far between) to work on our house. You should have seen us tearing out walls, stomping out ceilings, slinging shingles off the roof... we were a mess! Patrick did the majority of the work (BTW- my hubby happens to be a very talented carpenter and his attention to detail is second to none). In the evenings after I got off from work; I would go over to the house to clean, paint, caulk, anything I could do to contribute to the renovation. For 5 LONG months we lived with friends and most of our things were in storage. We were under SO MUCH stress (Especially Patrick) that we argued, cried, and drank more beer than anyone should in a lifetime! In February 2009, the house was "livable" and we went ahead and moved in with work some still needing to be done.


When renovating an older home- it’s NEVER quite finished. There are still a few minor things on our to-do-list... but, for the most part- its 100 percent complete. I can't say that I would do it all over again...because I totally wouldn't! HEY- I'm crazy, not stupid! But, I can say that I'm very proud of what Patrick and I accomplished as a young couple married couple. AND- I get much satisfaction and joy when people tell me how much they like my house or compliment it in any way.


It would have been nice to have the luxury of purchasing our dream home on our dream street with a dreamy backyard... but, to do that- you have to have dreamy parents and in-laws that contribute to that cause. AND, since we don't have that luxury...we had to do it all on our own. The best part about our house is the satisfaction of knowing WE did it, we paid for it, we put in the time and effort AND it’s all ours! No one can hold it over our heads, except the bank, of course! :)

We purchased the house for a "STEAL" and with us doing our own renovation work- it’s worth much more than we have in it. We plan to live here until Camille is old enough to know she shouldn't color on walls.

Below is a slide-show I made documenting the Extreme Makeover. I needed updated pictures for the "AFTER" part- but, the ones on here will do.

No comments: