"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he has been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just like people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, and most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is just like an old time rail journey ... delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."

~ Gordon B. Hinckley

March 1, 2010

On Becoming Baby Wise

"On Becoming Baby Wise, giving your infant the gift of nightime sleep"
on becoming baby wise Pictures, Images and Photos

I first heard of this book first from my Psychology Professor who also happend to be a mother to toddler triplets. I remember her swearing by this book and saying that no way would she have been able to maintain her sanity and her career without having implemented the principles of Baby Wise.
I purchased the book for myself Saturday morning and here it is Tuesday evening and I'm finished! The book categorizes the three types of feedings:
1. Child led Feeding also known as Cue Feeding or Demand Feeding
(Where the baby only dictates when it’s fed, whether it’s hungry or not)
2. Clock Feeding
(Where the clock only dictates when the baby is fed, whether it’s hungry or not)

3. And Parent directed feeding or PDF
(Where you utilize clock feeding, cue feeding, and wake time concepts after feedings to ensure your baby sleeps through the night and is rested for the next day)
Baby Wise teaches you the PDF approach.

You'll have to read this great book for yourself to fully understand... I'm certainly not going to try to explain the entire concept on my blog. But, the PDF approach makes SO MUCH sense and the statistics show you will have a happier and all around more content baby:
The infant management concepts presented in this book have found favor with over two million parents and twice as many contented babies. On Becoming Babywise brings hope to the tired and bewildered parents looking for an alternative to sleepless nights and fussy babies. The Babywise Parent Directed Feeding concept has enough structure to bring security and order to your baby's world, yet enough flexibility to give mom freedom to respond to any need at any time. It teaches parents how to lovingly guide their baby's day rather than be guided or enslaved to the infant's unknown needs.
The information contained within On Becoming Babywise is loaded with success. Comprehensive breast-feeding follow-up surveys spanning three countries, of mothers using the PDF method verify that as a result of the PDF concepts, 88% breast-feed, compared to the national average of only 54% (from the National Center for Health Statistics). Of these breast-feeding mothers, 80% of them breast-feed exclusively without a formula complement. And while 70% of our mothers are still breast-feeding after six months, the national average encourage to follow demand feeding without any guidelines is only 20%. The mean average time of breast-feeding for PDF moms is 33 1/2 weeks, well above the national average. Over 50% of PDF mothers extend their breast-feeding toward and well into the first year. Added to these statistics is another critical factor. The average breast-fed PDF baby sleeps continuously through night seven to eight hours between weeks seven and nine. Healthy sleep in infants is analogous to healthy growth and development. Find out for yourself why a world of parents and pediatricians utilize the concepts found in On Becoming Babywise.
(The results were a tad bit longer for formula fed babies... but not by much.)
Since I'm going back to work after the baby is born... it's very important to me that Baby Bozeman is sleeping through the night! Fingers crossed.
Having watched friends and family raise babies for the better part of my life… its given me a pretty good understanding of what to do as well as what not to do as far as parenting goes. Patrick and I have always put so much care and thought into everything we have done thus far in our marriage... and us having a baby has been NO exception. Being a first time parent is scary as HELL! I'll soon be responsible for another human life for 18 plus years, and it’s our responsibility to make sure he or she grows up to be a well balanced productive member of society... and that starts the day their born. I truly believe that!

************************************************************

Lately, I’ve been doing more reading than blogging... and I'm sure that will continue. ALSO, I've been doing more sleeping than anything else. I seriously get off work at 4:30 and I'm in bed by 7:00! I sleep my weekends away... and I'm still terribly tired. Finally, I started taking medicine for my constant nausea... which adds to my sleepiness. I feel pretty miserable all day everyday… Just can't get a break. :) I'm trying hard not to complain, except to Patrick, I want him to know every gruesome detail of how I feel...oh, and I do quite a bit of whining to my sister Emily--- she’s been a good shoulder for me.
Emily and her baby (my nephew, Taylor) have been living with P and I for a little over a month now. Thank God for her... she has been so helpful with the laundry and cleaning the house. It’s truly been a blessing and it’s kept Patrick off my back! Plus, I get to spend lots of time with her and Taylor which is always nice.

3 comments:

tonya jones said...

Christy, I know that you will be a great mother. It will come so naturally to you. You will be scared, true. But once you hold that precious baby, you will know exactly what to do.

Rebecca said...

You and your little prune take care!! You will be a wonderful momma.

Kimberly. said...

I need to read that book! =)
.
.
.
Girl, I know all about the being tired and having the sickness. I keep asking my doc over and over and over "are you sure this will go away when the baby arrives." It is so something I am not use to. Being tired and having no energy and hanging over the commode 24/7. IT STINKS! I am 26 weeks and sadly I still have ALL OF IT! Maybe you will get over yours pretty fast. The doc says only 30% have it until the end and lucky me I am part of the 30%. I am so excited for you guys. I can't wait until you find out the sex. Let me know if I can do anything for you.