"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he has been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just like people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, and most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is just like an old time rail journey ... delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."

~ Gordon B. Hinckley

August 9, 2012

Can I get a "Do Over" Day?



I had an Endodontist appointment scheduled for Thursday July 12, 2012 to have a tooth evaluated for a root canal. Before heading to my appointment in Montgomery, I realized I had misplaced my debit card. (Whomp. Whomp- story of my LIFE)

***Ask ANY of my friends to name THE most annoying thing about me and they will all say the same thing: having to “spot me” for dinner or buy my movie ticket due to me constantly losing my debit card.***

I stopped by the house and looked for it in the usual places: Jean pockets, dresser, kitchen counter, purse (aka: the Black Hole) and all through my vehicle. I couldn’t find it!

The last place I used my debit card was at Taco Bell the night before and I thought I might have dropped it in the drive-thru because during the "transaction of tacos", I caught Camille ---via REAR View mirror--- gagging herself, with purposeful intentions of making herself puke. It’s like a game to her! “Hehe! Mommy isn’t paying attention to me for 20 seconds and I’m stuck/buckled in this car seat… I know what I’ll do (inserts fist in mouth).

UGHHHH.

Here, lately… I have been misplacing my debit card among other things like crazy! Patrick is super annoyed with me because of this.  I feel like my brain is gone and will return once Camille reaches the age of reason, what age is that?! 

ANYWAYS- I’m just trying to survive this second year of Camille’s life, folks. Okay.

Back to the story---

If I don’t head to Montgomery soon, I’ll be late for my Endodontist Appt. So, I grab my check book and head out the door.

I needed to get some gas!

The Greenville Chevron (which always takes my checks) was packed, so I just scooted onto the interstate thinking I will just get gas at the Hope Hull Exit.  On the way to Montgomery, I call my friend Lacy and ask her to look for my debit card in the Taco Bell bags from last night… she does (bless her), but- no debit card. I call Taco Bell and I didn’t leave it there.

I’m so annoyed with myself, and to top it all off… my tooth has its very own pulsating heartbeat.

It has been one of those, “Can I get a do-over?” days!

Gas lights ON and the Hope Hull Exit is approaching. I get off the Exit and turn into the first gas station on the right hand side of the interstate. I pull up to the pump, grab my check book fully intending to “Pay before I Pump”, I walk inside with pen in hand ready to write out my check…when the teller shoots me down,

“Sorry, we don’t take checks”.
Me: “Really, well what gas station does around here?”
“The Shell across the interstate”

No biggie, I shrug, and head to my car.

Pull up to the Shell station; teller is outside smoking a cig:
Me: “Hey there, do y’all take checks”
Nope.
Me: “I really need some gas and the other station sent me here, they said you take checks…”
We don’t… anymore.
Me: “Well, would you make an exception?… I am almost out of gas and I have misplaced my debit card.”
Sorry, wish I could help you. I think the gas station on the corner of Hyundai Blvd. takes checks.
Me: Thanks

Now, I'm officially going to be late for my appointment, I head to Hyundai Blvd.

Same situation: a “Nope” and a “SORRY”.

I head back towards the interstate and decide this will be the last gas station I will stop at  and plea for them to accept my check before cancelling my appointment and calling someone for help (and, let me just say---- I’d rather WALK back to Greenville before I would call Patrick to rescue me from this situation! I would NEVER, EVER hear the end of this one!!!).

I go inside and they said, “No” too… I pleaded, but the answer was “No” but at least he offered to put 2 dollars’ worth of gas in my car for free.

Yeah, thanks- that will take me all of 17 feet.

I walked out feeling like a complete schmuck! I was heading back to my car when a man pumping gas in his truck gave me a friendly smile.

I’m not sure if I even smiled back… I was too focused on getting in my car to cry black mascara tears.

BUT- something made me do what I did next… It was a scary thing to do and completely out of character: I was at my car; turned completely around and walked right up to the man with the friendly smile and said, “I need some help…”

I caught him off guard… so he responded with a nonchalant, “ok”. 

(And, he was kinda' looking at me how I suspect I would look at someone approaching me at a gas station vaguely asking for help.  I don’t know about you, but anytime someone approaches me at a gas station for help, I always assume they’re a crack-head. Always...)

I broke down and went straight to the “Ugly Cry”… and the man was just pumping his gas and I couldn’t really “read” him, you know? So, (between hyperventilating huffs) I told him that I was out of gas…had a Dr. appointment in Montgomery….and lost my debit card…. and all I had was a check…. and NONE OF THE GAS STATIONS WOULD TAKE my CHECK! 

He didn’t say anything for a moment… and just when I thought he was going to say, “No, you crazy crack-head... get a JOB!”

He said, “How much do you need?”

:)

“HOW MUCH DO YOU NEED?”

Those five words sent me into the type of Cry that comes after the “Ugly Cry” I don’t have a name for this cry--- yet, so for descriptive purposes, I'll call it the “Tailspin Cry”!

I responded with, “(hyperventilating huff) 10 Dollars”.

Then he said, “That’s all…?”

To which I responded, “(hyperventilating huff) 20 Dollars”.

He smiles and says, “Okay.”

I insisted that he let me pay him with a check and as I beginning to write, a lady came out of the gas station… now, I don’t know if this lady was his girlfriend, wife or sister--- so, we'll call her “Lady Friend”.

Lady friend approached us and she knew something was going on. All I could think was, “She thinks I’m a crack-head, or a hooker! ---- I know she does!”

I asked for his name and as I was writing out the check, Lady Friend asked him, “What’s going on?”  Steve (That was his name), explained to Lady Friend that he was helping me out by putting some gas in my car and I was writing him a check because none of the gas stations will accept my check.  

Lady Friend looked at me, “Is it a good check?” Initially, I took offense to that… and then I thought about how I have acted in the past when strangers have approached Patrick for help. (Always a skeptic!)

Just when my tears had subsided, they come back in full-force when trying to convince her (the best I could, in between hyperventilating huffs) that my check was indeed good and that I really appreciated them doing this for me…

Lady Friend came over beside me and put her hand on my back which automatically set off my "Hug Trigger"! 

And then--- 

“BANG!” It went off again and I had to give Mr. Steve a hug as well.

I thanked them 100 times over! And they were like: “It’s no big deal… Don’t worry about it…Quit crying…”

They drove away, I put 20 bucks worth of gas in my car… called the Doctors Office and told them I was on my way, late--- but, on my way! Went to my appointment (No root canal needed, by the way)

While heading home, I realized that I didn’t get their contact information… and, I wanted to write them a real “Thank You” note and had no way to contact them!  

That evening, I began my PI Detective work… 
I searched for Steve ________ on Facebook. No luck. 
I searched the white pages, No luck. 
I "googled" him, No luck!

I waited and waited and waited for the check to clear… and finally it did! I got the information off the back of the check, called the bank where it was cashed and spoke to “Jolencia” in customer service and told her the short version of the story above and she was more than helpful. She found Steve, but explained that she couldn’t give me any information… but, she would try and call him and give him my number.” 

Thank YOU, Jolencia!!!

5 minutes later… my phone rang. 

I have his address and I found THE PERFECT “Thank You” card for him and mailed it off today! 

It reads:

Ephesians 1:16 (NIV)
I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.

Steve,

What an Angel you were to me that day! Thank you for your help… Would you believe my debit card had fallen between my seats!?!?! :) 

Please go to: 
www.bozemanbunch.blogspot.com

Where I shared the story of your kindness with the World Wide Web, in hopes that others will be inspired to help someone in need like you have inspired me!

Thanks again!

Christy

No comments: